If you suspect a gas leak get up, go outside and call SCG from a neighbor’s phone toll free at 800.513.8898 or call 911 for your local fire department.
SCG will respond quickly to ensure that you and your family are safe.
- Do not operate electrical switches or appliances. These items may produce a spark that might ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
- Do not use a telephone or cell phone.
- Do not light a match or smoke and extinguish any open flames.
- Do not assume someone else will report the condition.
- Do not open windows and doors to ventilate the area.
- Provide SCG with the exact location, including cross streets.
- Let us know if sewer construction or digging activities are going on in the area.
Use your senses to detect gas leaks.
A natural gas leak is usually recognized by smell, sight, or sound. Remember, if you smell natural gas, get up, get out and call us immediately from a neighbor’s phone.
Natural gas is colorless and odorless. For your safety, a distinctive, pungent odor, similar to rotten eggs, is added so that you’ll recognize it quickly. Not all transmission lines are odorized.
You may see a white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water or blowing dust. You may also see vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no apparent reason.
You may hear an unusual noise like roaring, hissing, or whistling.
View our Winter Safety Reminder page for additional tips to stay safe during winter months.