Existing Buildings - Retrofit Projects
This program is one of several innovative solutions offered by the Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund, and Energize CT partner, and Connecticut’s regulated natural gas and electric utilities. The program is administered by Connecticut's utility companies.
Opportunities for Saving
Make energy-efficiency a determining factor in your decision to upgrade equipment. The decision to replace viable equipment is based on many factors: productivity benefits, ease-of-use, compatibility with other systems – even aesthetics and comfort can be reasons to upgrade. However, in today’s competitive environment, energy efficiency may be on the top of your list. In the past businesses and municipalities had to make difficult compromises – letting the budget dictate the level of technology used. Now, with Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund support and its partnership with Connecticut’s regulated natural gas utilities, you have the financial assistance that will enable you to determine your energy future and make decisions based on advanced technology and what will benefit your organization long term.
Review the 2019 Project Caps & Incentives (PDF) for what is currently covered.
- Commercial, industrial, or municipal customers engaged in a retrofit project.
- A retrofit is defined as replacement of “existing equipment” that is operational and has at least 25 percent of its useful life remaining.
- SCG, CNG or Eversource customers who purchase natural gas on a firm commercial or industrial rate can participate in gas energy-saving measures
- Eversource or UI customers can participate in electric energy-efficiency measures.
How Does the Program Work?
- Utility company energy experts will help you to identify energy-saving equipment opportunities for your consideration. You maintain complete control over your project.
- The program uses an incentive strategy. When there is a choice between maintaining your older, inefficient equipment or a high-efficiency replacement option, the option is evaluated and a cash incentive is proposed to offset the installed costs associated with premium-efficiency replacement products. For qualifying custom projects, these financial incentives are based on a percentage of the installed cost. Pre-set incentives are offered for more common energy-efficiency measures. Incentives range from 30 to 50 percent of the installed cost. With the incentives and the monthly cost-savings derived from the measures, your retrofit project will typically have a short payback period.
- Determined by the size and complexity of the project, program administrators will provide the general and technical support necessary to prepare a Letter of Agreement (LOA). The LOA will detail the agreed upon energy-efficiency measures, the predicted energy savings, and the anticipated incentive dollar amount. On project completion, the measures are verified and your organization receives the incentive check. It’s as simple as that.
The financial incentives will help get your project completed the right way. The energy-saving benefits will continue on, month after month.
Sample of Types of Energy-Efficiency Opportunities
- Natural gas furnaces, boilers and unit heaters
- Boiler reset controls
- Rooftop or split-system AC equipment
- Variable frequency drives (fans/pumps)
- Differential enthalpy economizer controls
- CO2 controls
- Programmable thermostats
Energy-Efficient Water Heaters
- Natural gas indirect water heaters
- Natural gas on-demand tankless water heaters
- T5, T8, and “super T8” fluorescent fixtures
- Hard-wired compact (PL) fluorescent fixtures
- Pulse-start metal halide fixtures
- Daylight controls
- Automatic dimming/occupancy sensors
- Premium motors and variable-speed drives
Energy-Efficient Building Envelopes
- Ammonia refrigeration systems
- Mechanical subcoolers
- Evaporator controls
- Oversized condensers
- High-speed cooler/freezer doors
Energy-Efficient Process-Related Equipment
- Air compressors and related system components
- Commercial kitchen cooking equipment including exhaust hoods, ranges and ovens
- Material handling equipment (conveyor belt systems and screw-feed devices)
- Infrared heaters and gas-fired ovens
- Process chillers
For more information call 877.WISE.USE (877.947.3873).