Contact us to learn about programs that can help you maintain service and manage bills.
COVID-19 Payment Program plan enrollment has been extended through July 20. Pay down balances over up to 24 months with no penalty.
ORANGE, Conn. — May 26, 2021 — Southern Connecticut Gas (SCG), Connecticut Natural Gas (CNG), and United Illuminating (UI), subsidiaries of AVANGRID, Inc., urged customers facing financial challenges to contact them to inquire about programs that could help them manage bills, pay down overdue balances and avoid service interruption when disconnections resume.
Any residential customers experiencing difficulty paying their utility bill should contact our call center to inquire about being coded hardship. Any customers ineligible for hardship status, including both residential and nonresidential customers, should ask about the COVID-19 Payment Program.
- SCG - 800.659.8299
- CNG - 860.524.8361 (Hartford area) or 203.869.6900 (Greenwich)
- UI - 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALLUI)
SCG, CNG and UI offer programs to help customers manage bills, control energy costs and avoid loss of service. These include:
COVID-19 Payment Program:
- Available to any SCG, CNG and UI residential or business customer. Enrollment has been extended through July 20, 2021.
- Allows up to 24 months to pay overdue balances, with no interest, penalty or down-payment.
- Customers who make the agreed-upon payments are protected from service disconnection (when disconnections resume) for the duration of the program.
Arrearage Forgiveness Program (Matching Payment Program):
- Available to residential UI electric heating customers, as well as residential SCG and CNG gas heating customers. Contact us to find out if you meet state income guidelines for energy assistance.
- When combined with public assistance benefits, monthly payments can be reduced to as little as $50.
- The company will match customer payments, plus energy assistance received, to reduce the balance owed down to zero.
- Customers who make payments for the duration of the program phase are protected from service disconnection, when disconnections resume.
- Enroll by calling the company, or visit 211ct.org to find a local Community Action Agency and apply for state energy assistance funds.
UI Matching Payment Plan:
- The UI customer agrees to a fixed monthly budget amount, and the company matches payments down to a zero balance.
- Available to UI residential customers who can show financial hardship and have a balance of at least $500 that is 90 days or more in arrears.
- Available to residential gas heating or electric customers if they or a household family member have a serious or life-threatening medical condition.
- Protects against service disconnection for up to one year, when disconnections resume. Customers are still responsible for any balance owed.
- To enroll, call the company and provide the Customer Care Representative with the name and date of birth of the patient, as well as the name, phone and fax number of the physician. The company will contact the physician to provide certification of the medical hardship.
- Energy-Saving Solutions: Available to any qualifying UI, SCG or CNG customer who wants to reduce their energy usage for more affordable bills.
- Energy Analyzer: Displays a breakdown of your usage and offers tips to help you save. Visit the company’s website to learn more.
- Home Energy Solutions: Offers an energy assessment and weatherization service for your home. Currently available to residential customers at no cost. Call 877.947.3873 (877.WISE.USE) or visit for information.
- Business Solutions: Work with our energy experts to find ways to save on energy and lighting. Visit the UI, SCG or CNG website and click “Smart Energy.”
Manage Electricity Supply Costs:
- Visit energizect.com or call 877.947.3873 (877.WISE.USE) to compare generation rates. Be sure to check terms and conditions. Your supplier and rate can be found on your electricity bill. Not available to customers enrolled in income-based hardship programs.
Southern Connecticut Gas
Connecticut Natural Gas
860.524.8361 (Hartford area)
Note: This news release was issued pursuant to Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority Docket No. 20-03-15, Nov. 18, 2020 Procedural Order No. 36.
# # #